What Does Application Integration Mean?
Application integration, in a general context, is the process of bringing resources from one application to another and often uses middleware.
Techopedia Explains Application Integration
Application integration is often a difficult process, especially when integrating existing legacy applications with new applications or Web services. Given the huge area of this subject, you could literally write a book on doing a successful implementation. However some of the basic business requirements include:
- Adequate connectivity between platforms
- Business rules and data transformation logic
- The longevity of business processes
- Flexibility of business processes
- Flexibility of hardware, software, and business goals
To meet these needs, the application environment should have a common interface for free communication, including the system’s ability to request Web services and be compatible when interfacing with other platforms and applications.